Do you want to land the best temporary assignments? Take control of your situation.
You may not be able to do anything about the current unemployment rate, or the fact that more people are competing for the best temporary assignments. You can, however, control how desirable a candidate you are to a staffing service. If you want to learn how to be the first one called when a great opportunity comes around, read on. Here are a few inside tips to get you started:
- Develop a broad range of skills. The more you know, the more employable you are as a temporary. Become proficient in as many relevant software programs as possible. Talk with your staffing coordinator about the most requested administrative, light industrial and technical skills – and find out how you can acquire them. The stronger your skills, the better the assignments you can land.
- Make yourself accessible. Not surprisingly, the best temporary jobs are the quickest to be assigned. If you have a cell phone and are going to be out of the house, make sure the staffing coordinator has your number. If you don’t have a cell phone, be sure to call home to check your machine frequently. Should you be unreachable, you may get passed by for your dream job!
- Be flexible. Keep an open mind when assignments are presented. Even if the drive is a little further than you wanted, or if the job duties are not exactly what you had imagined, consider taking the assignment. Great job opportunities come in all shapes and sizes – you never know what a temporary assignment may lead to.
- Always have a good attitude and exceed expectations. Remember that no matter what assignment you are on, you are not only representing yourself, but the staffing service as well. Make sure you display a positive attitude while on assignment and always do your best. The better you make the staffing firm look in the client’s eyes, the more confidence your staffing coordinator will have in you. The greater his confidence, the more comfortable he will feel placing you with one of the staffing service’s best clients.
- Build a good relationship with your staffing coordinator. Aside from trust, open communication is probably the most important ingredient in a strong staffing relationship. Ask your staffing coordinator how best to keep in touch (i.e., how frequently to check-in, preferred method of contact, etc.). Keep him abreast of any changes in your availability. Be honest about your desire to work and willingness to be flexible. When he offers you an assignment, find out as much about the client as possible and ask what will be expected of you.
Find Great Temporary Work Opportunities with Snelling Staffing Services
Competition is intense for the best temporary assignments. Fortunately, Snelling Staffing Services can provide you with access to opportunities with the area’s leading employers. To stay at the top of your Snelling staffing coordinator’s call list, be sure to follow the tips outlined above. Develop your skills, keep an open mind, display a positive attitude, and you’ll be well on your way to landing a great assignment.