This is the formal Job Description –
Job Title: Machinist II
Department: Machine Shop
Reports to: Machine Shop Manager
Required Skills, Training, and Experience to Perform the Essential Functions:
- Knowledge of manufacturing machine tooling and measuring equipment (Mills, Lathes, Mic’s, Calipers, etc.)
- Basic Shop Math and blue print reading.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience with operating CNC machinery and or in a machine shop environment.
- Understand operation of CNC machines, basic CNC (G &M) programing code.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plans machining by studying work orders, blueprints, engineering plans, materials, specifications, orthographic drawings, reference planes, locations of surfaces, and machining parameters; interpreting geometric dimensions and tolerances (GD&T)
- Ability to understand and write “G” CNC machine language.
- Setup mills and lathes by following setup instructions with no supervision, including zero and reference points; setting tool registers, offsets compensation, and conditional switches; calculating requirements, including basic math, geometry, and trigonometry; proofing out machine part program.
- Set-up also includes installing and adjusting three and four jaw chucks, tools, attachments, collets, bushings, cam, gears, stops, and stock pushers; indicating vices.
- Verify settings by measuring positions, Inspection of first run part, sample work pieces, helps lead submit first article to QC insuring all customer requirements are met.
- Maintains specifications by observing drilling, grooving, and cutting, including turning, facing, knurling and thread chasing operations; taking measurements; detecting malfunctions; troubleshooting processes; adjusting and reprogramming controls; sharpening and replacing worn tools; adhering to quality assurance procedures and processes.
- Collect in process critical dimensional data insuring that all Statistical Process Control (SPC) requirements are met.
- Ensures quality of all daily manufactured products and on-time delivery of defect-free products, which meet or exceed customer needs and expectations.
- Document actions by completing daily production and quality logs.
- Maintain a safe environment by adhering to all company safety procedures and regulations.
- Identify and correct any possible safety hazards.
- Maintain continuity among work shifts by documenting and communicating actions, irregularities, and continuing needs.
- Maintain equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; following manufacturer’s instructions; troubleshooting malfunctions; reports necessary repairs to direct supervisor.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading technical publications.
- Accomplishes organization goals by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
High School Diploma
Ability to read and write in English; secondary language skill are desirable but not required.
Basic Microsoft, Excel, Word.
Certificates and Licenses:
5S, or Lean Manufacturing certificate (preferred).
CNC programming, Manufacturing, Machinist certificate (preferred)
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Typical machine shop environment. Time spent on the shop floor will be subject to standard noise levels in a manufacturing environment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to sit and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include Close vision, Distance vision, Peripheral vision, Depth perception and Ability to adjust focus.
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other different tasks be performed when circumstances change.
Sylmar, California 91342
APPLY FOR JOB